Friday, June 8, 2012

Evening in Georgetown

Today has been a great day ashore. We have all been off shopping and sightseeing. And, some boat things got done. Jacob and Mike cleaned the boat on the outside. They washed it down and cleaned the windows. Terry gave the boat new diapers. Oh, you might want to know about the diapers. Peggy said they are the XL Pampers. Terry said the diaper is an oil absorbent pad. The dingy got its registration numbers. LUX got her registration numbers and her home port name put on her backside. She got filled up with fuel. The port engine seems to be running okay. Peggy and Terry made it to the bakery, and bread was purchased. The best story of the day, however, was mine. In the morning, when I went to check out the marina store, the guy in the store asked if he could help me. I said I just wanted to look at what they had. He said, in essence, that they had not much other than books and tee shirts. I said that I liked books, and I would like to look anyway. Later in the morning, we were in a store where the sales ladies were really friendly. We got into a conversation, and I told them about my experiences in the marina store. They were so sweet. They were horrified that anyone in their town would be so rude to visitors. I kept saying that it really wasn't rude; the gentleman just really didn't think there was anything of interest for me in the store. But, they continued to follow me around the store talking, asking questions about our trip, and apologizing for the rude guy. During this time, I asked if they had a can opener in the store. The one on LUX is terrible, so I wanted a new one. They did not have one. But, they ended up GIVING me one from their own employee kitchen! They were so incredibly sweet. If you are ever in Georgetown, SC be sure to shop in Tomlinson's. They not only have great clothes at good prices and a wonderful selection of acrylic dishware, they have really nice sales people. We had lunch at Morsels, a lovely local deli. Mike and Terry had shrimp tacos. Peggy and I had really good Reuben's. Peggy ordered fries, but you don't need to worry about her eating fried foods that are bad for her. Terry and Jacob kept taking her fries to make sure she didn't eat too much. For dinner, we ate at Limping' Janes. It was a really neat restaurant. They use all locally sourced produce- most of it from their own farm. I had some really amazing carrots that were just barely steamed. They were so tasty. Everyone really enjoyed their meal. Afterward, we walked around town. Jacob and I had ice cream at a local ice cream place. Then, back to the boat to get ready for another day.

1 comment:

Michele said...

I am glad to hear that everyone is having a wonderful time and Lux is running smoothly. So proud that Jacob is looking out for his Grandmother's health, he is such a caring child. I'm sure it was a struggle for him to eat those french fries. Missy is doing well and we keep telling her Terry and Peggy have not abandoned her, they will return. Enjoy the fresh shrimp I hear Gee was able to purchase. Love to you all.
Michele