Tuesday, June 3, 2014

2, 4, 6, 8... Who don't we appreciate!

Now that we are safe and sound, it's time for the true tale of our travails across the ocean. Our story starts with Terry doing the right thing. He called Chris Parker, the go-to weather guy, to ask about the best window for making the crossing to Florida. Now, I know what I mean when I say it's a good dy for passage. But, I do not think Chris Parker means the same thing that I mean. Yes, Chris told us that Sunday and Monday would be great days with a broad reach. Oh yes, there was a lot of wind. And waves. Big waves. Really big waves. At least to me. Terry, et al. kept saying they were only 4 to 6 feet. At one point, though, someone said they were 6 to 8 feet. And, when we looked around, we were the ONLY boat in all this blue expanse of water for most of the time. The Coast Guard did show up at one point, but they just looked us over to make sure someone was at the helm. Then, they went away. And, we were alone again. Except for the flying fish. There were large schools of them out enjoying the day.

As I kept saying- in my relationship, his fun begins when mine ends. The sailors were in seventh heaven. We sailed practically all the way to Florida. And, we averaged about 7 knots the whole way. Of course, when someone announced that we were hitting 12 knots, Terry did insist that we slow down somewhat. And, Peggy did ask, "What's the hull speed on this boat?" Since it's only 11, Terry did not think we needed to be surfing quite that fast. That wind and wave action made for a really bumpy ride. I must confess that this report is second hand. I spent most of my time in my cabin, making sure my eyelids did not let any light in when closed.

We knew we were in Cape Canaveral when the cruise ships started appearing. One was departing as we entered. I did leave my cabin just in time to watch it steam off majestically into the distance-- without me. This is the time on the boat when I really miss having someone else take care of the pesky details like food, cleaning the cabins, and making the beds. But, there are always more adventures to come. Stay tuned.

No comments: